cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NTP Authentication and Location

Luis Seyler
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! So I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to have an NTP nexus act as a server for all devices in a network and authenticate them and that same nexus act as a client to another server but without authentication, I think that's not possible but would like to confirm.

Apart from that I would like to know where in a 3 layer architecture would that nexus server be. Every device connects through an OOB management network and NTP  client get their time using that network, should the nexus server be in the backbone or one of the nexus devices in the management network?

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes you can have Server and client using Nexus, yes good to have authentication for the NTP client, so it will be secured.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I know I can have authentication on Cisco Nexus, what I want to know is if you can use the same device as a client without authentication and as a server with authentication

yes this is possible.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi,

No, you can't use the same device as a client without authentication and as a server with authentication.

If it is required then you can use two NTP servers in your network. One with an authentication and another without authentication.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: