Views
Helpful
Replies

NTP syncronization between PC and Router

marcjone
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I am trying to configure my PC as an NTP client, however, I am unsure as to how to do this - the information which I have found so far seems to relate mainly to synchronizing with another server (Windows NT/2000) rather than a router

I have tried the following syntax from the command prompt on my pc:

NET TIME \\10.10.10.x

This syntax returns an error: "system error 53 has occurred"

Can anyone advise on how to syncronize my PC with my router (NTP Server configured)

2 Replies 2

drolemc
Level 6
Level 6

Core routers can be configured as an NTP server. For configuraition information, please see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk869/tk769/technologies_white_paper09186a0080117070.shtml

Hi there

Many thanks for your reply

We had no problem with the router config and were able to sync our server to the router with the addition of some registry strings. However, we have been unable to get to get other PC's to sync off the server (although, they work fine syncing with the router)

This seems to be a Windows problem i.e. Windows NTP clients are designed to sync with a Primary Domain Controller.

This does not correspond with our Novell setup, so I think we are going to look at trying out some third party NTP software for our Windows clients now ...

Unfortunately, we are constrained in that we are unable to sync all the clients directly off the router due to various bits of routing and firewall blocks ...

Thanks for your help