cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.17.1.4 not supported anymore?

dal
Level 3
Level 3

I use a program called Switch Port Mapper from a company called Solarwind to generate a nice list (map) between mac-adresses and ip-adresses in a switch, and that makes me able to see excactly what computer is connected to a certain port. On my C2950-switches this worked perfectly, but now I can't get Switch Port Mapper to work with the latest versions of the Cisco IOS Software on my C2950 switches with this Model revision number: B0.

Same type of switches with higher revision numbers seem to work OK.

The ones I have trouble with (almost all of my switches) don't work anymore after I upgrade to Version 12.1(12c)EA1 or higher; the Mapper can't find any ports, or it just hangs.

I talked to Solarwind about it, and they say that their program Switch Port Mapper uses this OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.17.1.4 to build its tables, and this OID don't seem to be supported anymore with those higher software releases.

So, is this a bug in the software that shows up in the B0 revision number of the C2950 switches, or is it simply not supported anymore?

I hope for a bug, because i really need this program.

Thanks,

Øystein

11 Replies 11

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

.1.3.6.1.2.1.17.1.4 = dot1dBasePortTable is from the BRIDGE-MIB. Are you using the Community String Indexing to poll the device?

I use a community string to poll the device, yes.

Is there any VLAN different than VLAN1 configured on the switches?

If yes, read http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/477/SNMP/camsnmp40367.pdf for Community String Indexing details.

I've tested snmpwalk 1.3.6.1.2.1.17.1.4 on my Cat2950 running 12.1(14)EA1 and it gets data with no problem.

Regards,

Milan

Yes, there are other vlan's than vlan1, and yes, I use Community String Indexing to get info from the other vlan's.

But check your revision number on your C2950, I bet it's not B0

Because when I do this on my switches with revision B0, i get a message that says "unsupported OID"

Read the original message.

Hi,

the revision number on my C2950 is B0.

This is a part of my sh ver:

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(14)EA1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

ROM: Bootstrap program is CALHOUN boot loader

System image file is "flash:c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-14.EA1.bin"

cisco WS-C2950-24 (RC32300) processor (revision B0) with 20710K bytes of memory.

Running Standard Image

24 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.

Model revision number: B0

Model number: WS-C2950-24

Configuration register is 0xF

Have you tested 12.1(14)EA1?

Regards,

Milan

Now I have installed 12.1(14)EA1:

C2950_14#sh ver

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(14)EA1, RELEASE SOFTWARE

(fc1)

ROM: Bootstrap program is CALHOUN boot loader

System image file is "flash:c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-14.EA1.bin"

cisco WS-C2950-24 (RC32300) processor (revision B0) with 20710K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FOC0545X0AG

Last reset from system-reset

Running Standard Image

24 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.

Motherboard serial number: FOC054504YC

Model revision number: B0

Model number: WS-C2950-24

Configuration register is 0xF

But I still get unsupported OID when I use Solarwind's MIB Browser or Switch Port Mapper.

Hi,

have you tried to get this OID via another program (UNIX snmpwalk, e.g.)?

Are you able to read another MIB values from the switch via Solarwind's MIB Browser?

Regards,

Milan

I have tried snmpwalk on a redhat linux machine, but i can't get the syntax right.. could you please tell me what I should write to get out the info?

and yes, I get lots of other mib values out of Solarwind's MIB browser, so i don't think it is there the fault lies.

Hi,

the syntax should be

snmpwalk -c your_community_string IP_address > file.txt

Then check the file.txt if there is the OID required (dot1dBridge.dot1dBase.dot1dBasePortTable) present.

Regards,

Milan

Hi,

When i try your string snmpwalk -c your_community_string IP_address > file.txt

and search file.txt afterwards, i cant find nothing called 1.3.6.1.2.1.17.1.4 or dot1dBasePortTable in the file.. not on the switch i know works, or not on the switch i know doesnt work...

So what's missing in the string you gave me? :)

I don't know what's wrong.

I'm using this syntax on my Solaris and it works OK - lists the complete SNMP MIB from the switch.

I thought the syntax should be the same on your Linux, but it might be slightly different.

Try to use any tool (Solarwinds SNMP Browser, e.g., if your snmpwalk doesn't work) to check if you are able to get the proper MIB values form the switch.

If you are from one switch and are not from the other, you should open a TAC case.

Regards,

Milan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: