cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Tracer - why is a crossover cable used here?

limey75
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me why PT wants a crossover cable to connect the router to PC2 in the attached scenario? I understood crossover cables connected like devices, not different ones. I have verified that this connection does not work with a straight-through cable.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The issue is not so much about Packet Tracer and is really more about the model number and the hardware being emulated. More modern platforms typically enable auto-MDIX which handles the relationship between the transmit pins and the receive pins and removes the requirement for cross over cable to connect PC directly to router. But older platforms did not support this functionality. The older platforms assumed that PC would connect to bridge or switch using straight through cable and the bridge/switch would connect to router using straight through cable. And on these older platforms if you want to connect PC directly to router then you need cross over cable.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The issue is not so much about Packet Tracer and is really more about the model number and the hardware being emulated. More modern platforms typically enable auto-MDIX which handles the relationship between the transmit pins and the receive pins and removes the requirement for cross over cable to connect PC directly to router. But older platforms did not support this functionality. The older platforms assumed that PC would connect to bridge or switch using straight through cable and the bridge/switch would connect to router using straight through cable. And on these older platforms if you want to connect PC directly to router then you need cross over cable.

HTH

Rick

Many thanks, Rick - that explains it nicely!

You are quite welcome. I am glad that my explanation was helpful. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick