cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Tracer will freeze when I try to open it

stauntonkcom
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Windows 10 machine. Not sure which specs are relevant but it is a new machine and I am confident it has the required specs to run packet tracer. 

I have tried multiple versions of packet tracer and all exhibit the same problem:

When I try to load up packet tracer, it opens up and then immediately freezes on the main schematic view (the view where you can select components to add to your network).  And at this point I will get the message "this program has stopped responding. Would you like to close the program now or wait for to respond?" - or words to that effect. Waiting for it to respond does not work so my only option is to close it. 

Any thoughts on what's going on here and how to resolve it? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

- One of the things I would try is to install the Packet Tracer on another Windows 10 system (PC or laptop) and check if the problem remains in place. If not, then I would re-install Windows 10 on the intended system and try to re-install the Packet Tracer again.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>I have tried multiple versions of packet tracer and all exhibit the same problem:

The main concern is to check the 'reverse requirements' meaning ; does you have a version of the intended packet tracer support the currrent windows 10 (and subversion)  that you are using ?

- Further more you may check the Windows eventviewer and look in the application and or system logs to find more info as to why the program has stopped.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks, below is the information I have taken from Event Viewer. I don't know is this really helpful/informative though: 

"

The program PacketTracer7.exe version 7.2.2.417 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 13d4
Start Time: 01d5c404dd57ea36
Termination Time: 64
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Packet Tracer 7.2.2\bin\PacketTracer7.exe
Report Id: 40525c6e-c2d5-41e4-a35e-be62d9713018
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Hang type: Unknown

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

svchost (3752,R,98) TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: Error -1023 (0xfffffc01) occurred while opening logfile C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log.

"

It advises check Security and Maintenance control panel, but I don't know what to look for within this application. 

Note that in this case, the particular version of packet tracer I have tried is PacketTracer7.exe version 7.2.2.417 according to the above log. But I have tried multiple versions of the program, all with the same result. 

It may also be helpful to note that the version of Windows 10 I have is; Windows 10 Home, version 1903 ... 

Any further thoughts or advice at this point? 

Just as an update, please note that I decided to uninstall the above version of packet tracer (7.2.2.417 ) and install version 7.3. 

As before, the application just freezes once the schematic screen loads up. 

Event viewer is now providing the following error information: 

"

The program PacketTracer7.exe version 7.3.0.838 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 43a4
Start Time: 01d5c40774a47876
Termination Time: 121
Application Path: C:\Program Files\Cisco Packet Tracer 7.3.0\bin\PacketTracer7.exe
Report Id: 00c64a8a-80cb-46c2-93b8-0036cf8819be
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Hang type: Cross-thread

"

note that i have also tried both 64bit and 32bit versions of packet tracer. 

Lastly, I have reviewed the relevant packet tracer FAQs, for completeness, please see them copied below: 

"

Q11. On what platforms can I install and run Packet Tracer 7.3.0?
A. Packet Tracer 7.2.1 is compatible with the following platforms: Windows 7, 8.1, 10 ( 32bit and 64bit) and Ubuntu Linux
18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver) (64bit), macOS.
Q12. What are the system requirements for Packet Tracer 7.3.0?
A. To successfully install and run Packet Tracer 7.1, the following minimum prerequisites must be met:
Minimum
• CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 2.53 GHz or equivalent
• OS: Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft Windows 8.1, Microsoft Windows 10 or Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
• RAM: 2 GB
• Storage: 500 MB of free disk space
• Display resolution: 1024 x 768
• Language fonts supporting Unicode encoding (if viewing in languages other than English)
• Latest video card drivers and operating system updates
Recommended
• CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz or better
• RAM: 4 GB
• Storage: 700 MB of free disk space
• Display resolution: 1920 x 1080
• Sound card and speakers
• Internet connectivity (if using the Multiuser feature or tutorials)

"

I think that my laptop satisfies the above system requirements as my laptop has specs of: 

"

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHZ 2.90GHZ 

Installed RAM 8.00 GB

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor 

"

so yea, any other guidance at all as to how to resolve this would be much appreciated.

>...TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: Error -1023 (0xfffffc01) occurred while opening logfile

- Advisories are available on the particular file open error code when you google with : windows file open error Error -1023 (0xfffffc01)

Use the returned repair tools at own risk however. Some content state that the problem can also be due to anti-malware installed on your system, preventing the Packtet Tracer  from working normally. If so you may want to turn that off temporarily as a test.

M.

Still no luck. 

Have turned off my anti-virus software, disabled firewalls. 

Installed all available Windows 10 updates. 

Also run the command chkdsk /r which apparently can fix some stuff ... 

Still getting same issue, it just freezes upon loading up .. ! 

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. 

- One of the things I would try is to install the Packet Tracer on another Windows 10 system (PC or laptop) and check if the problem remains in place. If not, then I would re-install Windows 10 on the intended system and try to re-install the Packet Tracer again.

M.

Re-installing windows 10 worked. Thanks for your help. 

Re-installing an OS to resolve some other app's issue should almost never be an acceptable fix. CISCO needs to fix their app, it's almost unusable.

Hello,

not sure if this has already been mentioned, but did you try and disable the Windows firewall ?

I solved this problem that started happening for me this week by:

1 - uninstalling Packet Tracer

2 - deleting all instances of it from the Registry (regedit then search for "tracer," deleting each key having to do with the program

3 - rebooting

4 - freshly installing app

p4W3k
Level 1
Level 1

Nothing above worked for me. I had to install 32 bits version to work fine. (WIN 10, updated)

NOK - Cisco PT 8.00_Build212_64bit

OK - Cisco PT 8.00_Build211_32bit

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: