Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

per user basis WAN utilization

Hello,

I want to monitor the traffic flowing on frame relay PVC.

But not all of it, traffic destined for particular IPs and source IPs. So that I can collect the statistics and come to know how much WAN consumption is going on from per user basis, both Tx and Rx. I think I can use Netflow for this, to export the statistics.

But what software I should use on workstation to analyze the exported data? So I can get per user link utilization.

Is there any third party tool, to find out the same thing…I want to use it to find average/ideal figure, and I should be able to apply filters in that tool for particular IPs and ports. If I can get graphs for duration of few hours or so showing utilization and hike, that will be wonderful. This statistics will help me to troubleshoot network

congestion/slowness.

OR I can move to the users side and collect statistics, that will also work, but I have to filter all local broadcast and unicast traffic.

Please suggest me any such tool.

2 Replies 2

markgosling
Level 1
Level 1

My only suggestion would be to use something like a packeteer packet shaping device. This device sits between your router and LAN segement and see's all traffic. You can then setup filters based on IP address/host name and monitor traffic volumes, protocols etc. I have one in my production network and it has allowed me to quantify the amount of traffic from specific IP address's and then prioritise that traffic.

Hope this helps

We use NetQoS ReporterAnalyzer (www.netqos.com) to analyze NetFlow data. It should provide you with what you need. There are a number of other NetFlow options available including some open source applications like FlowScan.