cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Physical connections required to move from console login to remote telnet.

ps12
Level 1
Level 1

I am very confused about the physical connections required to move from console login to remote telnet.

I have a laptop (with does not have an Ethernet port) with a USB port. Through that laptop, I connect to my ethernet port via a console cable (USB to RJ45 Ethernet port via one console cable and one RS232 cable). This goes through series of patch panels connected via straight through cables till my equipment rack. Then I connected a straight through cable till my terminal router’s console port and my equipment rack’s patch panel. Through this, I was able to console login. I set-up an IP address on my router’s Fa0/0 port also enabled telnet on vtys.

My doubt:

Now to set-up successful telnet, do I need to now patch a crossover cable between my rack’s patch panel port and router’s fa0/0?

Also, I will need to configure an IP address on my PC. As I do not have an ethernet port on my laptop how do I configure IP for the ethernet adapter on my PC, it always shows down. Will the console cable work (we cannot set IP on a COM port) or do I need some special cable? Should I connect a straight-through cable between my RJ45 port and then get an Ethernet to USB adapter for the laptop? Will that still show-up as COM Port?     

Please help resolve this issue…  

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ok buy same like USB to RS232, you can buy USB to Ethernet, so you can connec to router Ethernet port.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help