cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Poor performance on a Catalyst 4006 Sup II

JUSTIN LOUCKS
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Catalyst 4006 with Supervisor II engine. I have 48 port 10/100/1000 blades installed in it for connection to my servers. I am having a lot of problems with performance when connecting servers that are using 100 MB NICs. The speed of the connection is really bad. I have attempted setting the ports and NICs to 100MB Full duplex instead of auto-detect, but still get the same results.

I also have a 10/100 quad-port card installed in a NetApp filer. All four ports are trunked together and connect to 4 ports in the Catalyst. The ports in the Catalyst are trunked using the Port Channel feature of the CatOS. When I look at the port statistics on 3 of the 4 ports from the quad-card, there are a ton of runts and errors (both transmit and receive). The 4th port is fine, no errors.

Can anyone provide some insight / advice? I am not familiar with the CatOS and so I may have missed something major in setting this up.

Thanks in advance,

Justin Loucks

2 Replies 2

jbayuka
Level 5
Level 5

Runts error due to packets smaller than 64 bytes and this is usually caused by a faulty NIC, as your are observing this problem in most of the ports, i am puzzled a bit. You could try replacing the module to rule out that the module is not the culprit. Sometime upgrading your CatOS also might help

Hi All,

I has same issue and i got huge packet drops, no error in the interface and unbale to find anything in Sh tech support. Finally i did hardrebood after that No packt drops.

Before " Packet Size 1500

...!!.!.!!.!.!!..!.!!..!..!!..!!..!!!...!!!.!!.!.!..!.!!.!!.!!.!.!...!

.!.!....!!!..!.!!..!!!...!.!.!

Success  rate is 50 percent (50/100), round-trip min/avg/max = 4/4/4 ms

After Reboot

Packet Size 1500

Success rate is 100 percent (1000/1000), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/4/48 ms