cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ports Supported on F2e module

Anthony
Level 1
Level 1

I know on most M1 cards you have have any port in any VDC.  On F2 modules, port groups can only be in 1 VDC.  So in other words if port group 1 port is in VDC 1, port 2-4 also have to be in VDC 1.  Is this the same in the F2e module, or can any port be in any VDC like the M1?  I know it's not recommend on the M1, but it does work. 

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

CURRENTLY, F2e cards need to be in the same VDC.

However, future releases will allow F2e to be able to co-exist in the same VDC as M1/M2/F1 cards.

Yes, I'm aware of that and have seen those posted.  My question is around this link, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/virtual_device_context/configuration/guide/vdc_mgmt.html.  It doesn't contain the F2e module.  With the F2, you can only have port group ports in the same VDC.  This is different than the M1 as per the link.  The question is around the port requirements on the same F2e module on a VDC basis.  So can 2 ports in the same port group be in different VDCs?  With F2, the answer is no.  With most M1/M2, the answer is yes as you can see per the link. 

It doesn't contain the F2e module. 

They haven't updated the document.

So can 2 ports in the same port group be in different VDCs?

Currently, the ports from the F2e has to be in the same VDC.

I know....hence the question:)  Anyone know the answer?

I can't find a statement about this in any public documentation on CCO, but I would have to say I agree with the previous response i.e., the four ports of a group must be part of the same VDC.

In a presentation I've seen on the Nexus 7000 I/O module it show that for both the N7K-F248XP-25E and N7K-F248XT-25E I/O there is a "VDC granularity:  4 ports –  same port-group".

Also given that the physical architecture of the F2e cards is the same as the F2 i.e., that we have groups of 4-ports on the same SoC, then I don't see this restriction disappearing.

Regards