Views
Helpful
Replies

power consumption with dual power supply

marianares0001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to know how dual power supply works, I mean, when you have two power supplies in a router if both of them are working at the same time, or if one of them is working while the other one only begin to work when the first one stops.

And if both of them are working at the same time, what is the power consumption, the same as if only one of them was working?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Atif Awan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

marianares0001 wrote:

Hi,

I need to know how dual power supply works, I mean, when you have two power supplies in a router if both of them are working at the same time, or if one of them is working while the other one only begin to work when the first one stops.

And if both of them are working at the same time, what is the power consumption, the same as if only one of them was working?

Thanks

The implementation details can potentially differ per product category but usually the following is applicable:

1. The product provides configurable power redundancy modes and choosing a mode dictates whether load will be shared across supplies or whether a particular supply will be dedicated for redundancy.
  2. If both (or more) supplies are working at the same time then both share the power load.
  3. The actual power consumption depends on the power required to run the installed components and is the same whether you use power supplies in redundant or power sharing mode.

Atif

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Atif Awan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

marianares0001 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

The implementation details can potentially differ per product category but usually the following is applicable:

1. The product provides configurable power redundancy modes and choosing a mode dictates whether load will be shared across supplies or whether a particular supply will be dedicated for redundancy.
  2. If both (or more) supplies are working at the same time then both share the power load.
  3. The actual power consumption depends on the power required to run the installed components and is the same whether you use power supplies in redundant or power sharing mode.

Atif

Thanks for your quick reply.

Regards

hi,

I want to know the power consumption of  3750-X-12-SE model switch and C6506-E (VSS)

====

having two power supplies with 715 watt each,

c6506-E

========

will it work with a single 3000W AC power supply ( fully loaded) and need to know the power consumption of the switch

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: