Views
Helpful
Replies

Power over Ethernet for 6500 switch

leowchongwei
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My 6509 switch default inline power is 7.00 Watts (0.16 Amps @42V). And i have a Cisco 1010 AP which is not powering up when i connect the the switch. Have checked the datasheet and the AP requires 48 VDC; 250 mA; 10W... How can i make the change on the switch on per port? I have IP Phones drawing power from the switch so what do i have to take care of?

4 Replies 4

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

You have to use the power calculator from Cisco. You can search Cisco web for it. It can tell you what module and how many devices and power supply can be used to support the requirement.

Some module limited the power and some more. And you also need to determiner it is Cisco pre-PoE standard or 802.11af PoE standard module.

Hope this helps.

paramvsi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

As per your question you wanted to set the inline power to be set manually on the port of Cat 6000. Im not sure as to is you are running Hybrid or Native mode so am sending you both the configs that you can use to set the Inline power on a port wise basis:

Hybrid:

To set the inline power mode of a port or group of ports, use the set port inlinepower command.

set port inlinepower mod/port {auto | static} [max-wattage]

max-wattage is the maximum power allowed on the port in either auto or static mode; valid values are from 4000 to 15400 milliwatts

Config Example:

Console> (enable) set port inlinepower 2/5 15400

==============================================

Native Mode:

To configure the administrative mode of the inline power on an interface, use the power inline command.

power inline {auto [max max-milli-watts]} | never | {static [max max-milli-watts]}

Specifies the maximum amount of power that a device connected to a port can consume; valid values are from 4000 to 15400 milliwatts.

Config Example:

Router(config-if)# interface fastethernet5/1

Router(config-if)# switchport

Router(config-if)# power inline static max 15000

Hope this is what you were looking for and it helped :)

Regards,

Param

Hi paramvsi,

I'm using CatOS and i try the set port inlinepower 2/5 15400 but it does not accept the command. The options i have is set port inlinepower 2/5 (auto|off). Please suggest. Thanks!

What 6500 ethernet module do you have, and what version of CatOS are you using? The following link lists what 6500 blades can put out the full 15.4, and I believe they require 8.2.1 or higher for 15.4 output.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference09186a008039e541.html