cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems adding ACS to HPOV NNM

N3t W0rK3r
Level 3
Level 3

How can I add my ACS server to HPOV NNM v6.41 (Win32)so as to monitor its availability?

I have tried to do this but NNM is showing the ACS in red as unavailable. Also there doesn't appear to be a place within ACS to allow it be monitored from an NMS such as NNM.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

John

6 Replies 6

minielsen
Level 2
Level 2

All NNM requires to give an up/down status is that your server replies on a ping. If you want more than that you need SNMP on the server. Have you tried to ping your ACS server from the command line/shell of your NNM server?

Actually, I cannot ping the ACS server from the NNM server, although I know that it is operational as I access its web interface on a daily basis.

Is there some place on the ACS server that may be blocking the ICMP traffic from NNM?

Also, can snmp be added to ACS?

Thanks,

John

I have no knowledge about ACS. Which platform are you running on? ICMP and SNMP services are often part of the operation system (e.g. inetd and a SNMP agent). Could it be that the ACS installation disables these services?

Hi John,

If you cannot ping the ACS server from the command line on the NNM box, then it will always be red in the NNM app.

Most likely, there is some sort of icmp blocking in the path between the 2 boxes, or on the ACS box itself - allowing icmp through can be a security risk (see smurf attacks, etc.).

If you do a traceroute from one to the other, you may be able to determine where the blocking is occurring, and re-configure to allow the NNM box to ping ACS. Don't forget the replies need to be allowed back as well.

Unix, Linux & Windows boxes can have an snmp agent installed, which will allow them to then answer snmp polling requests from a server. I wouldn't describe it as intuitive on Solaris or Linux - takes a bit of work. You'll have to get the manual out.

For performance of Solaris boxes, we run Orcallator, which is a freebie, and gives snmp type stats via a web page. There are others around, maybe SourceForge.net has one for Linux. Not sure about Windows. Cheers.

Thank you to all of you who responded to my original post. I fould my problem...

I had to disabled the Cisco Security Agent (CSA) on the ACS server itself. Once I did this, I was able to finally ping the server. I can now properly monitor the availability of the ACS server form HPOV NNM.

Regards,

John

Thank you to all of you who responded to my original post. I fould my problem...

I had to disabled the Cisco Security Agent (CSA) on the ACS server itself. Once I did this, I was able to finally ping the server. I can now properly monitor the availability of the ACS server from HPOV NNM.

Regards,

John