cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems booting a 3750X-24P-S

Oleg Borodich
Level 1
Level 1

I recently upgraded a firmware in a Cisco C3750X-24P-S: replaced c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE3.bin with a c3750e-universalk9-mz.152-1.E.bin.

Once the switch was reloaded, there was the following error message in the console:

File "flash:/c3750e-universalk9-mz.152-1.E.bin" uncompressed and installed, entry point: 0x3000

executing...

Boot process failed...

The system is unable to boot automatically. The BOOT envirmnment variable need to be set to a bootable image.

switch:

Show boot command confirmed that the switch had had a proper boot configuration pointing to an existing firmware file.

Suspecting the new firmware file was damaged, I decided to copy it again. Unfortunatelly the network wasn't uvailable even after setting all environment vatiables like IP_ADDR etc. There were no lights on the network ports even when an active device was connected to the ports. I decided to copy the firmware via XModem-1K. Unfortunatelly the process didn't complete successfully (the switch was powered off and when on). Now the switch wouldn't boot at all. I tried the following procedure to get into ROMMON:

Unplug the power cord.

Hold down the MODE button while you reconnect the power cable to the switch.

The MODE button is on the left side of the front panel.

Release the MODE button after the LED that is above Port 1x goes out.

Note: The LED position can vary slightly, which depends on the model.

You are now at the switch: prompt.

However neither Port1 nor any other port is coming on or off during the power on procedure: all network ports are blank all the time. Immediatelly after powing on the switch, the SYST light starts flashing with green/amber for around 20 seconds, then goes out for a half of a second, and then starts flashing with green only indefinitly. As it "boots", some random characters appear in the console. Is there any way to boot into the ROMMON mode now?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You may need to check to make sure someone else did not set the 3750X console speed to some other settings. 

If you've checked all settings and you can't get anything, then RMA the appliance.  You should still be able to get warranty out of it.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Oleg,

Do not use 15.2 IOS as it's very buggy. Try 12.2(55)SE8 or 15.0(2)SE4.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

I will install the better firmware, howerver how do I get to the ROMMON now??

Why do you want to go to ROMmon?

To install the firmware. As I said, the switch will not boot at the moment. The bin file is damaged.

As I said, the switch will not boot at the moment. The bin file is damaged.

If the IOS file is corrupt, you power up the appliance and it will automatically go into ROMmon.

Once in ROMmon, you could potentially boot an IOS from a supported USB thumb drive. 

What to do if a switch doesn't boot into ROMMMON mode? It just flashes the SYSD light every time it is restarted. There are no meaningful messages in a console, just some random characters.

What to do if a switch doesn't boot into ROMMMON mode? It just flashes the SYSD light every time it is restarted. There are no meaningful messages in a console, just some random characters.

Are you sure your console terminal is set correctly? 

Yes, I am able to manage other Cisco switches using the same terminal session just by reconnecting a cable.

Something is wrong with this Cisco switch and I need to know whether I can fix it myself or it is too serious.

You may need to check to make sure someone else did not set the 3750X console speed to some other settings. 

If you've checked all settings and you can't get anything, then RMA the appliance.  You should still be able to get warranty out of it.

Bhishma Khanna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Oleg,

Just press the MODE button for 15 to 20 seconds when the switch is running.

It will go to ROMMON mode and then you can follow the steps for XMODEM recovery of switch.

Try XMODEM with baud rate as 115200 for faster recovery.

Here is the link for XMODEM recovery:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml

Thanks.

It will go to ROMMON mode and then you can follow the steps for XMODEM recovery of switch.

Try XMODEM with baud rate as 115200 for faster recovery.

Here is the link for XMODEM recovery:

Bhishma,

XModem is so "old school" and has gone "out of fashion" ever since Cisco's been rolling out routers and switches with USB ports in them.

Someone in Cisco really ought to start updating your documentation.  It has taken a very, very big hit in quality. 

Even with XModem baud set to 115200 it would take approximately 45 minutes just to copy the IOS BIN file from the TFTP to the DRAM of an appliance.  With USB boot it would take 5 minutes maximum. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: