cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Product Selection

syedraza1512
Level 1
Level 1

I want to have few products for qouting to my clients that are mostly Hotels, and truck stops which need low cost but high performing products.   I rather have one hardware to the following without degrading the performance. 

1) firewall

2) Content Filtering

3) Intrusion Protection

4) Routing

5) DHCP

Secondly,  I need few more suggests for product selection for Wireless devices.

1) Access Point that can work with Yaggi antenna

2) Any product you will be help in desinging the solution for Hotel deployment.

Thanks..

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi syed,

The ISR' like 2800, 3800 are EOS as of nov 2011.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/eol_c51-631228.html  (this is for the 2800 series)

so if you want to purchase the ISR series then you will have to go the ISR G2's. As nikolas and others have identified if you want to run special services(IPsec,IPS) in HW without impacting the performance then you need to buy AIM, etc. Also might have to purchase licence if you using universal image as well.

However, you are absolutely right in selecting the device. from your requirements what you need is a security device that can act like a router as well. So Cisco 5520 is a good choice. It's low end cost about ~5k i believe and you can achieve all that and much more. If you buy an ISR and add the modules and all it would come to the same price as well. But i would like to ask you to consider something. How many sites are you planning to deply these devices? imagine you had 40 sites and use an ASA at each site. What happens if you upgrade your ASA or say the sites get shutdown. Where wil you use these 5520's. You also need to think about re-using and re-deploying these devices as well.

HTH

Kishore

View solution in original post

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

5520 might be an over kill if it is a small place.  You have to see how many users/devices are going to be per site and what will be their requirements.

If it is only like 5 to 10 users putting an ASA 5520 or a 2800 router is an over kill in my opinion.  Important thing is that you want to "qualify a customer" for the right products depending on their needs.

ASA 5505, Cisco 800 series routers are pretty good for smaller deployments.  But if it is a big enough hotel or a truck stop sure you can go up to 5520 and a 2800 router etc.  With ASA 5505 you can do wireless too on a small scale.  It comes with two PoE ports and you can connect two wireless AP's to it, I am just not certain if it supports all the AP's you'll have to double check on that.

What are your wireless needs?  Smaller deployment again like I said you can use ASA 5505 or a Cisco 2500 serious controller (I believe it can support up to 50 AP's).

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

nikolasgeyer
Level 1
Level 1

The Cisco 1841, 2800/3800 series ISR and 2900/3900 series ISR G2 can perform all the functions you have requested, but not out of the box. You need to purchase the IPS AIM (1841) or IPS NME (everything else) for the intrusion protection capabilities and also a subscription to Cisco's content filtering for IOS service.

Alternatively you could use a higher end ASA 55xx appliance with the Content Security and Control (CSC) and IPS service modules.

That is a 100% Cisco answer

Thanks for your reply.

I think using ASA5520 will be a better option, I am pretty sure all of the capabilities that I am looking for are tied into one package. Have you worked with ASA5505, how they perform?

I am still deciding for Wireless solution. Checking my option what would be good and doable.

ASA 5520 is a near-end-of-sales product. Anyone considering a new ASA purchase should be looking at the 55__ X series. The 5525-X would be the product in this case. It's probably not the most cost-effective product (~US$16k list price for the product including IPS bundle) but it is very capable.

People looking to keep costs low would usually be more inclined to look into a branch access router like the Cisco 2911, possibly with advanced security (firewall features) and IPS. (Though firewall feature should suffice.) The down side is there's a lot less expertise out there on setting up (and fixing) IOS zone-based firewall. OTOH if you have a config that works, just repeat it n times. The CISCO2911-SEC/K9 is at US$3595 list price.

Unfortunately there is no X series replacement as of yet for the low end 5505.

With the right licenses the ASA X-series can do content filtering and Intrusion Protection. They route very basically but I would think for your use case you'd only need a default route to the Internet and not have to run a dynamic routing protocol at all.

ASA can act as a DHCP server.

The 2911 can do those functions as well, though it's not really strong on Intrusion Protection and content filtering - relying on the IOS firewall for these functions.

jamiegrive
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I would also recommend the ISR G2 series, possibly the 1941 depending on your throughput, IPSec and other requirements.

Do the hotels require wired or wireless access or both in the rooms - have you considered how you will accomplish this? E.g. switches and Lightweight APs

Jamie

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

As far as AP goes, I am still trying to see which product line will better price vs. performance.  So far I had to do Wireless only without hardwire requirement.  For the switches I think anything in 2900 Series range should be good.  Wireless AP where I need the help to figure it out.  I trying to have two packages for my clients

Low end Package

High/Mid-range package.

And also I am trying to do the same thing for the edge devices to have two packages low & high end package.  I can then provide advantages and disadvantages to the client for both packages and let them chose.

So any suggest from you will be helpful.   Thanks!!

As far as AP goes, I am still trying to see which product line will better price vs. performance. 

802.11 a/b/g WAPs:  1130, 1240*

802.11 a/b/g/n WAPs:  1040, 1140, 1260*, 3500**, 3600**

* - The 1240 and 1260 requires external antennas.  The 3500e, 3502p, 3600e also requires antennas.

** - 3500 and 3600 require a wireless LAN controller (WLC) or WiSM

Hi syed,

The ISR' like 2800, 3800 are EOS as of nov 2011.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/eol_c51-631228.html  (this is for the 2800 series)

so if you want to purchase the ISR series then you will have to go the ISR G2's. As nikolas and others have identified if you want to run special services(IPsec,IPS) in HW without impacting the performance then you need to buy AIM, etc. Also might have to purchase licence if you using universal image as well.

However, you are absolutely right in selecting the device. from your requirements what you need is a security device that can act like a router as well. So Cisco 5520 is a good choice. It's low end cost about ~5k i believe and you can achieve all that and much more. If you buy an ISR and add the modules and all it would come to the same price as well. But i would like to ask you to consider something. How many sites are you planning to deply these devices? imagine you had 40 sites and use an ASA at each site. What happens if you upgrade your ASA or say the sites get shutdown. Where wil you use these 5520's. You also need to think about re-using and re-deploying these devices as well.

HTH

Kishore

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

5520 might be an over kill if it is a small place.  You have to see how many users/devices are going to be per site and what will be their requirements.

If it is only like 5 to 10 users putting an ASA 5520 or a 2800 router is an over kill in my opinion.  Important thing is that you want to "qualify a customer" for the right products depending on their needs.

ASA 5505, Cisco 800 series routers are pretty good for smaller deployments.  But if it is a big enough hotel or a truck stop sure you can go up to 5520 and a 2800 router etc.  With ASA 5505 you can do wireless too on a small scale.  It comes with two PoE ports and you can connect two wireless AP's to it, I am just not certain if it supports all the AP's you'll have to double check on that.

What are your wireless needs?  Smaller deployment again like I said you can use ASA 5505 or a Cisco 2500 serious controller (I believe it can support up to 50 AP's).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: