cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Quality of Service -How to see how much traffic got shaped in a MQC class

shanilkumar2003
Level 1
Level 1

All,  I have traffic shaping configured to restrict  Akamai updates. can I see how much total traffic got shaped? also, how can I see most details of this shaping, please advice?

class-map match-any Aka_updates
match dscp af21
class-map match-any Aka_updates_NBAR
match protocol akamai

policy-map QoS
class Aka_updates
shape average percent 5
class Aka_updates_NBAR
shape average percent 3

Thanks in Advance..

6 Replies 6

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

show policy-map interface <interface where policy-map is applied>

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
BTW, perhaps a better approach than shaping the Akamai update traffic, is to de-prioritize it relative to other traffic. This allows the Akamai traffic to take advantage of otherwise "unused" bandwidth, yet not be adverse to more "important" traffic.

E.g.:

class-map match-any Aka_updates
match dscp af21
!unclear why you have two classes - does DSCP and NBAR really need separate allocations?
match protocol akamai

policy-map QoS
class Aka_updates
bandwidth percent 1
class class-default
bandwidth percent 99
!Adjust above bandwidth allocations if you need to guarantee the Akamai updates a larger minimum, but the above will allow Akamai to use 100%, again, if otherwise unused.

Thank you joseph. Looks good the approach of replacing shaping with de-prioritize. I will try it out
why I put another class to match NBAR, because all Akamai cloud updates were not properly tagging with AF21 dscp. so added another class with NBAR to make sure no traffic is missing, hope that should be ok and work well.

I would like to know one more thing, can I see how much traffic getting shaped/de-prioritized by the applied QoS out of total Akamai traffic. is there any way ?
Regards,
Shanil

Since your class map uses match-any, the class applies to traffic with DSCP AF21 OR as seen by NBAR as Akamai traffic.

To you question about seeing traffic stats, Omg's answer still applies.

Thanks Joseph.  what about reverse, if there is no traffic on akamai traffic class ,does the class-default can use that akamai class bandwidth?

Yes, it can. Any "ordinary" bandwidth class can use unused bandwidth of other classes. For example, if the other class wasn't using any of its bandwidth, all 100% of available bandwidth might be used.

Above I noted "ordinary". There are differences if using a LLQ class or class using shaping or policing.