Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about vlans

rbacct123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all:

I am setting up a wireless network. I currently have 3com switches and a cisco router (2691). I created three vlans on my aps - 1 for the default and 2 and 3. The aps can ping each other but they cannot ping the other subnets. So, I assume I need to set something up on the cisco router? Can someone point me in the right direction? Sorry - kinda new at this stuff.

4 Replies 4

pflunkert
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

when you have a Cisco ap, the ap will sent all traffic as untagged traggic over the trunk. Let us assume that you have five vlans on your network. You need two vlans on the ap. So you must configure a trunk between the ap and the switch. But your management information will pass the trunk allways as untagged traffic. The other will will have a 802.1q tag. Please remember that no vtp informationexchange between ap and switch.

Regards

Peter

Ok so here is what I understand so far - I may be way off so please correct me. On my cisco router i have this:

interface FastEthernet0/0.10

encapsulation dot1Q 2

ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0

On the 3com switches, I have the ports that the APs are connect to as untagged on vlan 2 and not vlan1. am I right so far? or should i have tag for vlan 2 and untag for vlan1?

Now, i need to trunk the switches? do i need to tag the uplink on both vlans?

thanks for your help!!

On you router you configure:

interface FastEthernet0/0.2

encapsulation dot1Q 2 native

interface FastEthernet0/0.24

encapsulation dot1Q 24

interface FastEthernet0/0.44

encapsulation dot1Q 44

In this case vlan 2 is your native vlan. When you want you can chose another vlan as native vlan. But rememeber you ap management traffic will transfer as untagged traffic. On the AP you will have this configuration:

interface BVI1

!

interface FastEthernet0.2

description VLAN Management

encapsulation dot1Q 2 native

!

interface FastEthernet0.24

description VLAN Marketing

encapsulation dot1Q 24

bridge-group 24

!

interface FastEthernet0.44

description VLAN Guest

encapsulation dot1Q 44

bridge-group 44

!

interface Dot11Radio0

!

ssid Marketing

vlan 24

!

ssid Guest

vlan 44

!

interface Dot11Radio0

!

ssid Guest

authentication open

guest-mode

!

no ssid tsunami

!

interface Dot11Radio0.24

encapsulation dot1Q 24

bridge-group 24

!

interface Dot11Radio0.44

encapsulation dot1Q 44

bridge-group 44

!

The traffic from vlan 2 is untagged, vlan 24 and 44 are tagged traffic.

Regards

Peter

Ok, my config on the AP looks similar and i have my ap ports and my uplink/wan ports untagged on vlan1 and tagged for vlan2/3. Some of my wireless clients work fine and some do not (checking into that). One question i have though - i cannot connect to my aps now. they have the are on the same IP Address as the wireless clients. If I set my ports like this - untagged 2 and tagged 1 - i can. Does this indicate that I need to change my ap addresses?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: