question on aggregate policer error in 6509

bgardiner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am trying to find some background information regarding this error:

Cisco 6500 [SUP720-3B] %QM-4-AGG_POL_EXCEEDED QoS Hardware Resources Exceeded
Out of Aggregate policers.

What triggers this error? In this case, there are QoS policies configured at the interface level. The 'show platform hardware capacity' command shows that there are1024 policers supported. What counts as a policer? Is a policer each instance of a class using the police command? I see where there have been some suggestions to use VLAN based policies instead of interface policies and others suggesting to turn off 'qos marking statistics' but I would really like to understand the details of what causes policers to be used up and how to approach fixing this.

I am trying to understand how this works under the covers but can't seem to find any documentation anywhere defining the details.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Berni

4 Replies 4

susdas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Berni

The following error message indicates that the switch has reached the hardware limitation:

%QM-4-AGG_POL_EXCEEDED QoS Hardware Resources Exceeded Out of Aggregate policers.

Only a limited number of aggregate policers can be supported. On EARL7-based switches, this limit is 1023.

Some QOS commands other than the police command are a part of this count. Any policy using 'set' or 'trust' command would increment the aggregate policer count. You can disable the addition of the set or trust commands to the aggregate policer count by entering the 'no mls qos marking statistics' command, but you will then be unable to collect statistics for the classmaps associated with these commands.

Thanks

Sush

Thanks Sush.

Will turning off marking statistics only affect the ability to see counts while the original process is unchanged?

Also, per your comments, it seems like the police, set and trust count towards the policers. Is that per class per policy? Is there a document that defines exactly which commands affect the aggregate policer count? I sure couldn't find any.

Will going to VLan based QoS help this issue as well?

Thanks again,

Berni

Hi Berni

Indeed, anything else should not be affected. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any document yet. I would surely provide you the link if I find any. Moving from Port-based QOS To VLAN based QOS is also supposed to help.

Regards

Sush

Sushmita, i have the same issue and i wanted to ask you a quetion before i go ahead and enter 'no mls qos marking statistics' command. (Versus doing the vlan based QoS)

but you said " then be unable to collect statistics for the classmaps associated with these commands" what do you mean by this? so when i do show classmaps would i loose the ability to collect statistics?

Thanks

Prabhu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: