cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"bridging" serial PPP to PPPoE - can it be done

paul
Level 1
Level 1

I want to recieve PPP on serial (or PPPoA  on ATM) and then relay the PPP session as PPPoE  across an Ethernet.

I am trying to avoid L2TP because I'm attempting to replicate a working (non-cisco) solution.

The secenario I'm trying to emulate requires PPP to arrive without an Ethernet encapsulation and to depart as PPPoE..

I've spent a couple of days trawling the docs and experimenting but havent found a solution.

I've tried setting up PPPoE  client on the ethernet and then adding the PPPoE dialer interface to the same bridge group as the serial interface but the LCP, CHAP IP6CP etc can't be bridged in this way.

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is not possible to do that. PPP cannot be bridged.

You will need to terminate PPP one side, then configure PPPoE seriver the other side, and route, not bridge.

Thanks for the quick reply - you've confirmed what I suspected.

Do you know whether any of the VPDN solutions might help

I could use L2TP to forward the incoming  LCP and CHAP to a NAS but was hoping to use PPPoE instead

As above, use routing/NAT. Even better if the end device uses regular Ip over ethernet, not PPPoE.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: