cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links", what's that ?

christoph.ehret
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 800Series Router to configure. When I try to configure the FastEthernet0-4 ports by giving them an IP address (manually or via dhcp), I have the following error :

IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links

As far as I can understand, the problem is that these ports are used in bridge mode or switch mode, what is the reason why I cannot assign an IP to them, right ? But is it possible to turn them into L3 links, so that I can (at least, I think so) assign them an IP address ?

Thanks for your answers.

Chris

3 Replies 3

paddyxdoyle
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Chris,

I don't think you can change these ports to layer3, on the 800 series routers the four ports are normally just switch ports.

However the command to change from layer 2 to 3 on a layer 3 switch is "no switchport" so give it a whirl i may be wrong!

Good luck

Paddy

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, there is no switchport command in interface mode; by the way, if I have a look in the Cisco IOS Master Commands List, Release 12.3, on switchport command, they do not speak about the 800Series routers.

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

Thinking about it, i believe you can configure one of your ports as a DMZ interface.

I know you can do this on the 837 router.

Rgds

Paddy