Views
Helpful
Replies

RARP - you know the MAC but not the IP

lmgil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

it seems a simply question but I don't know how to solve it.

You know the MAC of a switch. You want to know the IP address for this IP, a kind or RARP application, like the IPSU for an Access Point.

Do you guys know where I can find an application like this ??

Obviously there is no console port, the sniffer does not tell a word, there is no CDP...

I read an tip in the Packet but it does not work, it was like matching the known mac address to an imaginarium IP address and telnet to it, but It does not work.

any help will be wellcome !

Luis Miguel.

8 Replies 8

smif101
Level 4
Level 4

What kind of switch is it that you are trying to get the IP address of. If it doesn't have a console port than the chances are that it doesn't support a IP address and it is just a dumb switch.

It is a 3com with console port, but it does not matter. Imagine just a pc. You know the mac of the device and you want to perform a reverse ARP to know the IP.

Hi,

Unless I am missing something, this can be done by pinging the subnet broadcast addres (e.g x.x.x.255) from a router or pc on the same segment. Then checking the arp-cache table on the router or "arp -a" on Windows for the mac/ip entry.

HTH

Mustafa

Thanks Mustafa,

but do I have to try from 1.0.0.255 to 254.255.255.255 ??? do you kno what I mean... I don't have a clue of what subnet can be the ip address configured...

Hi,

Use a sniffer like Ethereal, then do a search for the MAC address as a Hex value..

I see what you mean, all I can come with is some crazy ideas:

1. If you have a spare router that can be hooked up to the segment:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

no logging console

logging buffered 327680 debugging

debug arp

ping 255.255.255.255

show log | inc xxxx.yyyy.zzzz

Or,

2. On a windoze pc, install a fast port scanner, e.g http://www.download.com/Advanced-Port-Scanner/3000-2381_4-10127847.html?tag=lst-0-1

Then:

c:\>route delete 0.0.0.0

c:\>route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0

and start the port scanner (1.0.0.255 to 254.255.255.255) !!! I would start with the obvious private ip addreses first. Then check the arp table:

c:\>arp -a > file.txt

(this may work without the port scanner: ping 255.255.255.255)

jduffek
Level 1
Level 1

good question.

if you cant get on the console, then try to put a cisco device on the switch and see if they become cdp neighbors. then you can do a "sh cdp nei det" and get the IP.

sniffer should work too...

jd.

What is the 3com name and model number of the switch??