Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reaching back....... 7010 RP Slot0 Flash

I recently inherited a 7010 with RP/SP running version 10.X. I need to upgrade it as far as possible (11.X) and have a 16MB Flash card for the RP. It's an Intel 2+. Anyway, All the documentation I can find here on the Cisco site says I should "Format" the card, which makes sense. As far as I can see, there is no such command in emable, disable or unable.

IDEAS?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

dgcampbell
Level 1
Level 1

To use a flash memory card you must be using IOS 11.0 or later boot roms. What I've been doing is having the router pull the latest IOS from a tftp server. Yes its not the best solution, but it lets me run the latest IOS without having to get new roms.

I also have a 7000 series with an RP and an SP.

My boot roms are 11.x and 16MB flash card, IOS is 11.x -There are no more IOS upgrades for this series. However, I can see IOS upgrades for 7000 series with different hardware.

Question- What different hardware I can install to replace the RP/SP so I can run IOS 12.x???

Thanks

PS I would also consider trading this BIG beast for something smaller, I have several (about 4) 2-port token ring cards, (about 3) 8-port high speed serial cards, 2 4-port serial cards and several 8-port ethernet cards and, 2 working power supplies, ALL in GREAT working order.

fsebera@yahoo.com

If you want to run an IOS above 11.2 you need to replace the RP with a RSP7000. Documentation for the RSP7000 can be found at:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/cis7000/routeswi/25617rsp.htm

Here's the output from a Show Version. I assume I am at boot rom version 11.X.

I considered reloading from a tftp server but...... the host is not always available. Perhaps it should be :)

Show Ver

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) GS Software (GS7), Version 10.2(2.2), MAINTENANCE INTERIM SOFTWARE

Copyright (c) 1986-1995 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed 04-Jan-95 14:50 by kmac

Image text-base: 0x00001000, data-base: 0x004CE980

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10), SOFTWARE (fc3)

ROM: GS Software (GS7-K-M), Version 11.0(10), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Router uptime is 4 hours, 38 minutes

System restarted by power-on

System image file is "new7000.Z", booted via flash

RP (68040) processor with 65536K bytes of memory.

X.25 software, Version 2.0, NET2, BFE and GOSIP compliant.

Bridging software.

G.703/E1 software, Version 1.0.

1 Switch Processor.

1 EIP controller (6 Ethernet).

1 FSIP controller (8 Serial).

6 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interfaces.

8 Serial network interfaces.

128K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

--More--

OK........ there's a good ending to this, and no, it dosn't mean swapping out the router. IOS 10.X in fact does not include a format command. I actually booted the router with the new IOS via TFTP, and magically, there is a format command in 11.X. From there copied the IOS file from TFTP to slot0:, after formating it of course. All is well in the world tonight.

Thanks for the input.

:)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: