cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Real world IPSEC VPN Setup process?

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6

In the real world let's say you  need to setup a connection with another company or something where they will be managing the connecting ASA via the ASDM/GUI let's say. How are the pre-shared keys determined meaning do we normally just agree what it should be over the phone then send a text file or something, or just agree on all parameters verbally or electronically via email or something, etc?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

You can either decide to build up that vpn using a preshared key or certificate.

Share them over a secure transport (secure email valid for few hours like protonmail and others.) Gmail now allows to send a secure email and receiver will get a text with a code to open the encrypted email that will be valid for few hours or days.

For PSK, there are several ways to generate one. I personally use openssl and use a personnal script to mix it with sha hashing.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

You're welcome

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

You can either decide to build up that vpn using a preshared key or certificate.

Share them over a secure transport (secure email valid for few hours like protonmail and others.) Gmail now allows to send a secure email and receiver will get a text with a code to open the encrypted email that will be valid for few hours or days.

For PSK, there are several ways to generate one. I personally use openssl and use a personnal script to mix it with sha hashing.

Thanks
Francesco

Awesome thanks!

You're welcome

Thanks
Francesco

I did already but I can click on another again. Thanks!