cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Real world IPSEC VPN Setup process?

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6

In the real world let's say you  need to setup a connection with another company or something where they will be managing the connecting ASA via the ASDM/GUI let's say. How are the pre-shared keys determined meaning do we normally just agree what it should be over the phone then send a text file or something, or just agree on all parameters verbally or electronically via email or something, etc?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

You can either decide to build up that vpn using a preshared key or certificate.

Share them over a secure transport (secure email valid for few hours like protonmail and others.) Gmail now allows to send a secure email and receiver will get a text with a code to open the encrypted email that will be valid for few hours or days.

For PSK, there are several ways to generate one. I personally use openssl and use a personnal script to mix it with sha hashing.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

You're welcome

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

You can either decide to build up that vpn using a preshared key or certificate.

Share them over a secure transport (secure email valid for few hours like protonmail and others.) Gmail now allows to send a secure email and receiver will get a text with a code to open the encrypted email that will be valid for few hours or days.

For PSK, there are several ways to generate one. I personally use openssl and use a personnal script to mix it with sha hashing.

Thanks
Francesco

Awesome thanks!

You're welcome

Thanks
Francesco

I did already but I can click on another again. Thanks!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: