Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant Internet via. SHDSL + ISDN

TalonKarrde
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have a customer trying to implement an SHDSL Internet connection with redundant ISDN Internet connection.

The router is a 2600XM series with an SHDSL V2 WIC and an ISDN card. Obviously the SHDSL Internet is primary with the ISDN to be active only during SHDSL failure.

Are there any specific documents that best explain how to do this, or any things I should be aware of.

One last thing to mention is that its possible the SHDSL card is going to be removed, and an SHDSL modem used to provide an Ethernet connection instead (due to speed problems). This might make a difference if the system is expecting a line protocol to go down...

Cheers.

6 Replies 6

timdeadman
Level 1
Level 1

There are many ways to do this and it really depends upon your routing protocol.

A good way is to use a "floating static route". This is a static route that has its admin distance changed to a higher value than the routing protocol you are using. Normally your primary route sits in the routers routing table, but when that route goes down (you have to ensure the route actually does get dropped from the table) the static to the ISDN will become the best (only) route.

I hope that helps, but it's fairly generic....

Thanks for your input. I am just concerned that the IDSN wont drop off, or that the primary route wont be removed from the routing table (highly likely).

I seem to recall some sort of mention of routes being chosen depending on the ability to contact a specific address (eg. the router attempts to contact an internet host and when it cant, brings up a second link) but cant recall the name of this technology.

If anyone has some more suggestions it would all be appreciated.

Cheers.

You're thinking of "ping based routing" which Cisco implements using their "response time recorder" feature. However, unless you are working with static IP addresses, you will have another problem, which is that Cisco does not clear the NAT translation table unless the interface fails hard. If both paths need NAT but use different NATs (very common), your existing connections will fail and will not come back because the NAT for the dead interface will still be in effect.

Expect to receive suggestions to use a floating static route (only works if the SHDSL interface goes down, which it often does not, and never will if using an external DSL modem) and policy NAT (necessary to set up NAT translations correctly, but only affects the initial definition, not the NAT used once a NAT is defined, even if the interface changes). In other words, be sure to distinguish between suggestions based on what should work and suggestions based on what has actually worked in a real configuration. I've spent days in the lab getting something to work and the results are a hideous hack that only works on 8xx and 17xx routers (and that I've yet to find anyone willing to put into production, it's cheaper just to buy a Linksys or other SOHO router designed to do the job).

Good luck and have fun!

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

By the way, any lurkers with a 17xx who want to try it, please contact me by email. I'd love to find out if the syslog event processing hack works in the real world.

Vincent is correct, getting the interface to show "hard down" is tricky. If you have the ability to configure a GRE tunnel at the other end it would help (you assign the tunnel interface as your primary and then when you loose the SHDSL interface the tunnel goes "down down") but I don't know how favorably your provider would look on that......probably not very!

Hi Vincent,

we actually will be using static IP addresses, and there will be no NAT at all. The LAN side is a small subnet of public static IP addresses assigned to servers, and the WAN side (SHDSL and ISDN) will be static IP addresses.

I am not sure if the ISDN will recieve a different address to SHDSL when it becomes active, or the same address, but in any case, both addresses will be static since this is not a home connection (I WISH i could afford a 4MB/4MB SHDSL connection at home :P )

Thank you for your feedback (everyone). If you have a link to the ping based routing and how to implement it, that would be terrific.

Cheers!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: