Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant Link on 2950 Switches

sakdavin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have 2 Cat.2950 Switches. What I am doing is to link these two swithes together(redundant link purposed). Plz take a look at the scenario as below:

SW2_2950--->Core Switch--->Router

| |

| |

Servers Farm--> SW1_2950

Could anybody help me by sending any sample configurations about the redundant link (STP) between the above two switches, coz I have read some docs, but it seems not understant at all.

Any feedback and solution would be appreciated.

Regards,

Sakdavin

6 Replies 6

sakdavin
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, the above scenario was wrong, coz of the format. The below is the right one:

SW2_2950--->Core Switch--->Router

| |

| |

SW1_2950<-----Servers Farm

Regards,

Sakdavin

paddyxdoyle
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I am not too sure about your diagram, i have attached my interpretation of it.

This design basically allows you to dual connect your server to each of your 2 switches, your servers would be running some kind of network teaming to allow them to benefit from being dual connected. In this design, spanning tree is not required (although it should still be running) as you are not creating any layer 2 loops as i don't believe your two 2950's need to be connected to each other.

If on the otherhand you had dual core switches then your would want to connect your two 2950's together to allow for redundancy should one of your core switches fail. With this design you would have a layer 2 loop so spanning tree would come into play and block one of the redundant connections.

Let me know if i'm on the right track?

Rgds

Paddy

Hello Paddy,

There was something wrong with my previous message and network diagram. Really sorry about that.

Let me clarify again. My purpose is to do a redundant link between the two 2950 Switches that shown in my new attachment file. If possible,could you sent me any sample configuration to config STP(Redundant). Sorry again about the above mistake. Thank you.

Regards,

Sakdavin

Plz check the attachment file as below:

Hello,

Could anybody help me to config the above two Cat. 2950 Switches? If possible, plz send me the config?

Thank you in advanced.

Regards.

Sakdavin

Hi,

Sorry for not getting back to you.

You need to think about which switch will be your root switch, this switch controls the STP topolocgy.

If you will be adding further redundant switches to your topology in the future then you should use your core switch as the root.

If you are not sure then you can either let STP decide which switch will be the root switch (root wars!), or use the upstream 2950.

Logically i don't think it will make any difference which switch is the root in this topology but best practice would be to use the core for future scalability.

Other than this i don't think you need to do anything to support this configuration as long as STP is running on both 2950's it will block one of your redundant links.

HTH

Paddy