cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reflector port in RSPAN

dhui02
Level 1
Level 1

What is the purpose of reflector port in RSPAN? Any differnence of the RSPAN command without reflector port defined?

- monitor session 1 destination remote vlan 555

- monitor session 1 destination remote vlan 555 reflector-port Fa0/10

5 Replies 5

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

The reflector port is the mechanism that copies packets onto an RSPAN VLAN. The reflector port forwards only the traffic from the RSPAN source session with which it is affiliated

RSPAN extends SPAN by enabling remote monitoring of multiple switches across your network. The traffic for each RSPAN session is carried over a user-specified RSPAN VLAN that is dedicated for that RSPAN session in all participating switches. The SPAN traffic from the sources is copied onto the RSPAN VLAN through a reflector port and then forwarded over trunk ports that are carrying the RSPAN VLAN to any RSPAN destination sessions monitoring the RSPAN VLAN

Without configuring reflector port RSPAN VLAN will not be carried to different switch where the destination port is configured.

Have a look at this link for more details on Reflector port

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/12120ea2/3550scg/swspan.htm#wp1036704

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

My reflector port is fa0/24 and when I configure it in rspan, my trunk port going down instantly...please assist me..why this behaviour.
I'm seeing this issue in 3550 switch

Thanks in advance

is that fa0/24 is trunk port or is that port connected to any other devices?

you should use a unused port as reflector port.

Hi,

Did you ever figure this out?  I have the exact same problem. 

Thanks,

Matt

Hi,
As Saigurr said the reflector port must be an unused port. If you have a trunk connecting two switchs u shouldnt configure the reflector port on that interface trunk.
The 3550 needs a reflector port for rspan. New switchs do not need the reflector port.
Just make sure that rspan vlan is configured in all switches and u configured the reflector port in an unused port on the remote switch.

hope it helps.