Views
Helpful
Replies

Resolution of IP address through OSI model

admin_faisal
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I have some confusion regarding the hostname resolution in dns server through osi model.

What  i think that (When we type url, the http takes the request to the  presentation layer, then session, transport layer network datalink, then  physical then it goes to the dns server to resolve the hostname. then  it comes back from all the routes to the transport layer. then it sets  the source port and destination port to the web server of the requested  url. then it goes to the network layer and sets the source ip (our  system) and destination ip(what we got from dns server) then data link  then physical and then hop by hop it goes to that webserver then the  request is completed

Is it like that? or there is something i am missing??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you could forget about layers for a moment it would help.

Learn first how things works in practive, stick labels on it later.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you could forget about layers for a moment it would help.

Learn first how things works in practive, stick labels on it later.

admin_faisal
Level 1
Level 1

I need to know because its a ccna requirement. How things work, thats why i wanted to know how osi model works

Syed,

As Paolo said this is not required at CCNA level, First understand the complete concept of OSI Layer Model then go ahead on see what protocols works at which layer then go in depth of each protocol.

Coming down to your question how http works google it to findout what exactly HTTP contains and how it rquests the data and go step by step.

Simple answer to your question is : You are quite near to the answer but there is a lot of things to be explained. Hence dont get confuse and just understand how it works when you type that would help you in understanding the concept rather than knowing it on how it flows over the layers.

HTH

Regards

Inayath