Views
Helpful
Replies

Restore Router IOS via TFTP connected to a Switch

quoc.huynhtran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I used a computer act as TFTP server, connect this to a Switch and the other port of Switch to the Router which is needed to restore IOS.

I entered to Rommon Monitor mode of router and tried tftpdnld. I tried this many times but there's error : ARP timeout . If I used a crossover cable connect a Router directly via Fa0/0 to TFTP, it was successful. Has anyone ever tried to restore image through a Switch connected to TFTP ? Please help ?

Regards

Henry

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's not how it works.

When a router is in ROMmon, it's function is significantly diminished.  You connect the router direct to your TFTP server and not to your switch. 

I'm setting a Terminal Lab so I need to restore IOS from TFTP but via an Admin Switch an then a TFTP. Since the port Fa0/0 is used for Labs to so when the IOS of Router is lost, we need to restore IOS via TFTP connect to Admin Switch.

Please help

I have no idea WHY you are doing this but I have NEVER HEARD of anyone doing a software recovery using your method.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On switch, try configuring spanning-tree portfast.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: