cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME Issues

dbnorton
Level 1
Level 1

I been having some problems with the import part of RME. Evertime the ANI server does a discovery I go into the Discovery Metric and I see that it has discovered over 1000 devices but I only have 609 in my RME. Also on the Discovery Metric I have devices IP's that I know are Cisco devices but they show up as unknown in the device type. Any ideas why this is happening?

7 Replies 7

DAVID NOONAN
Level 1
Level 1

RME has to have a package installed for each model of device that it supports. If you look under Server Configuration/About the Server/Applications and Versions, then click the link for RME - Devices Supported in IDU that should show you a list of the supported devices.

I tell you how to install new ones but that info is at work and I'm not. If no one else posts it I try to remember on Monday.

-- Dave

pvanvuuren
Level 3
Level 3

The discovered devices in ANI that are unknown can be corrected through installing the latest Campus Manager IDU. (Incremental Device Update)

If you're using LMS 2.2 install IDU ver 10.0. Coincidentally, IDU ver 10.0 has just been released yesterday, the 29th of October.

RME 3.5 has its own IDU too. Again, install IDU ver 10.0.

I'm asuming you syncronise from ANI to RME,and thus only know devices are suncronized to RME. All unknown devices are not.

Incremental Device Update ver 8.0 has a few bugs though.

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cw2000-campus

P

Okay I installed all the latest updates and I am still having devices that show up as unknown in my device metric list. I can telnet to these devices and the majority of them are switches like Cat4000's 2924's etc. Any other thoughts?

Is your DNS configured correctly? CiscoWorks can be quite particular in terms of how it wants your DNS to be set up. Do a nslookup on the device, based on IP address and name as well, and see if they are both correct. Check that your SNMP strings are correct, and that you can telnet to the devices okay. If that is all okay, go to Campus Manager and rediscover that particular device and see how that goes.

If there was a DNS error which you fixed up and a rediscovery of the device does not work, sometimes you might need to reboot server (have seen instances where it didn't pick it up even after a DNS flush)

Okay now I have it where I am getting IP addresses resolved to the correct name but I am still getting the Device Type as Unknown. Any other ideas? I don't think Device Type is dependant on the SNMP strings because I have some devices that has all the correct info in the SNMP section and they still show up as unknown.

What devices is it saying "unknown"? Have you checked the devices supported, and is it there? It can say unknown if CiscoWorks doesn't yet support the device.

I have all the latest updates on the server and the devices that are showing up unknown are like 1900's 2924xl's, Cat4000 etc. They show up with the correct DNS name but the are just not imported into RME because they are supposedly unknown devices.