cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rommon not responding to keystrokes

glenn-mchenry
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 2960S-48FPD that someone was trying to do an upgrade, loaded c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE2.bin instead of c2960-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE2.bin.  To try and fix it they deleted both but before they could put the proper ios on, another person dropped power.  Now the switch will boot into rommon, HOWEVER it won't respond to any keystrokes.  It's stuck at "..... flash_init boot " and the switch: prompt.  I have tried using both putty and SecureCRT, the settings are correct, the usb-serial works on another c2960S.  I can read the output when it goes into rommon so it's not a baud rate issue.  Any help to turn this brick back into a functioning switch is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Glenn                  

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Flowcontrol is turned OFF?

Yes.  I am using 9600, 8, n, 1, no flow control.

Here is a paste of what I'm seeing on the screen right now:

Using driver version 1 for media type 1

Base ethernet MAC Address: f0:29:29:ee:5a:00

Xmodem file system is available.

The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.

The system has been interrupted prior to initializing the

flash filesystem.  The following commands will initialize

the flash filesystem, and finish loading the operating

system software:

flash_init

boot

switch:

This part is good, however the console port is not accepting any input from the computer from what I can tell.

Thanks!

Glenn

Hmmmmm ...

Try another computer. 

Tried that as well with no joy.  Both are using the usb-serial dongle.  I will have to dig out my old laptop with a serial connection and try that.  If anyone has run across this and knows a fix, please let me know.

Thanks!

Glenn

I'm suspecting it's the USB-to-Serial.

I just did a test between the suspected faulty switch and another same-like switch.  When pressing and holding the mode button on a working switch, it first slow-flashes 29 times, then quick-flashes 30+ times, then drops into rommon.  The suspected faulty switch slow-flashes 29 times, then quick-flashes only 13 times, then sometimes goes into rommon or sometimes doesn't show anything.  Just a quick update.  I tried a computer that still had a serial connection and no joy on that switch but worked on another like switch.  AAARRRRGGGGG!!!! Why on a Friday!!  Oh, thanks!

Has any of the Cisc gurus out there on this board come across this issue?  Any and all help is appreciated.  Otherwise I have a $3000.00 paperweight.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Glenn

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: