Views
Helpful
Replies

Router 2821 Flash memory replacement

Ali Bahnam
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

I have a cisco 2821 router configured as a CME version 7.1.

Now I want to upgrade the IOS to version 15 to get a CME version 8.6 but I faced a problem that the flash of the 2821 is 64MB and the IOS version 15 required flash 128MB.

I tried to replace this flash with another 128MB installed on Cisco 2811 router but when I installed the 128MB flash on the 2821 CME the 2821 didn't boot from it.

Please can you support me in this issue.

Thanks,                 

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Connect PC with serial to console port to see what happens with the boot process.

I did this on the 2821 router when added the new flash 128MB is enter to rommon.

it didn't boot from the flash.

Console into the router and reboot the router.  Post the entire bootup process. 

Please I need your advice:-

If I have router with 64MB flash and another with 128MB so can I swap the flash between the two routers??

Router 64MB   upgrade to 128MB

Router 128MB  downgrade to 64MB

It is possibe??????

Thanks,

I doubt there would be any issue using a Flash from one in the other. I have done that a thousand of times. Anyway, make sure you format that flash and copy all IOS and CME files (templates, ephone firmware,...) before using it. I have recently migrated from CME 4.1 to CUCME 8.5 without an isue. Just remember to look for changes in IOS commands, phone upgrade process,...etc (for example, new CUCME ios has a great part of the CME files embeded and also features new VoIP security features enabled by default).