cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing ipx using eigrp

m-kahn
Level 1
Level 1

When I use eigrp to route ipx why do I have to explicitly turn off the networks in ipx router rip and explicitly configure those same networks in eigrp. Since ipx routing enables ipx rip and sap services and redistributes automatically into eigrp, that should be the end of it. Why do I need ipx router rip configured on all my routers?

3 Replies 3

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

It is just the way it has been implemented. If you don't do it, RIP updates will also propagate across the WAN links and EIGRP updated will be sent onto the LAN interfaces which is not what you want.

With version 12 of the IOS couldn't I just configure no ipx router rip and be done with it?

robho
Level 3
Level 3

By default, when IPX routing is enabled, RIP is enabled as well. When you add IPX EIGRP, both RIP/EIGRP run at the same time and automatically redistributes. You have to selectively add the IPX networks under EIGRP. This way, you can control who is part of the IPX EIGRP domain.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: