Views
Helpful
Replies

routing via SVI

bob
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I'm attempting to setup routing on a catalyst 3550 (ver 12.1(22)EA1a). I'm NATing on PIX (525 ver 6.3(3)) and would like to route source traffic via a switched virtual interface.

I've entered the following static route on the 3550:

ip route <destination IP/mask> vlan 1

I've also entered an access-list on the PIX to allow traffic to the NAT'd host.

The 3550 doesn't send traffic to vlan 1's interface.

Any advice is much appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Hello,

can you post the configuration of your 3550 ?

Regards,

GP

erhoehne
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Bob,

Below is a nice doc on configuring svi. From what you posted above, it looks like you don't need to configure svi to accomplish what you're trying to do. SVI's are normally used for non routable traffic. Are you trying to send packets to a destination network that resides on a vlan without using a layer 3 interface to route it? That's what it looks like you're trying to do, since you have the ip route pointing to a vlan. I hope this helps!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801a6b38.html#1030666

Regards,

Erik

Thanks for the useful doclink. I discovered that the routing was actually working; I simply had it pointed in the wrong direction.

By setting a route on my 3550 from the desired source to vlan 1, I was sending traffic out my default gateway. Thus I was not able to connect between the hosts setup to test this scenario (one in front of my PIX and one behind). I was trying to get traffic from 'outside' to go 'in'. By altering the route to point traffic to a vlan handled by one of my PIX interfaces, I was able to establish connections as expected.

I humbly thank you for your kind attention.

Bob