cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Running RIPv2 and OSPF at the same time

agrayson
Level 1
Level 1

What are the problems with running RIPv2 and OSPF at the same time if any? I have the gear capable of that and I have been doing this for over a year now. I wanted to get rid of RIP but my couterpart is scared because he is not OSPF skilled. I do have some remote sites with old 1601s to consider. Any suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

OSPF is far better than RIP when it comes to performance and advatnages compared to RIP and no doubt in that though it is complex to implement compared to RIP but once done it is smooth.

It is important to have a very well designed network with OSPF otherwise the behavior is unpredictable sometimes and it may not give desired results.

Also for your low capability routers like 1601s you can put them into stub or total stubby area so that they may have less load on them.

HTH

Ankur

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

OSPF is far better than RIP when it comes to performance and advatnages compared to RIP and no doubt in that though it is complex to implement compared to RIP but once done it is smooth.

It is important to have a very well designed network with OSPF otherwise the behavior is unpredictable sometimes and it may not give desired results.

Also for your low capability routers like 1601s you can put them into stub or total stubby area so that they may have less load on them.

HTH

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: