cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SC-SC Patch cord lentgh in close (1,5 mts) gbps connection

holiveros
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am about to connect two catalysts 6509 using two gbic sx ports (plugged into line cards WS-X6416-GBIC) in an etherchannel fashion; but here is my doubt: is there any limitation on the SC-SC MMF patch cord lentgh....?.. I wanna be sure before proceeding...thanks

3 Replies 3

smif101
Level 4
Level 4

Well with the SX port that you are using you don't want to go over 500 meters. The best thing to do with all optics is to determine what the TX and RX db range is for all your optical cards. Then with a fiber optic meter measure the input that will be going into your receive port and ensure that you are within standards. This should be done before any installation and written down somewhere, this will help later if you have problems especially if you lose like 5 db somewhere you will know what you should see at each and every point and determine easily where the problem is.

rgodden
Level 3
Level 3

Connectors and Cabling

Connectors: Dual SC connector

Table 1 provides cabling specifications for the Cisco GBICs that you install in the Gigabit Ethernet port. Note that all Cisco GBICs have SC-type connectors, and the minimum cable distance for all GBICs listed (multimode fiber [MMF] and single-mode fiber [SMF]) is 6.5 feet (2 m).

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

As I read it, there is a minimum distance of 2m for the LH/LX GBICs, but SX is OK at closer range. See http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/534/21.html

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: