Views
Helpful
Replies

Serial interfaces aren't detected by the IOS

hugoeic
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was busy working with a Cisco Router 2600, when I accidentally eliminated the flash, while I was doing a copy run tftp :(

Anyway, I installed the exactly same IOS version from another router doing a TFTPDNLD to this router, everything was going well, until I wanted to configure the serial interfaces.

So I’m NOT able to do the command interface serial 0/0, but before I was able to...

When I do

Router(config)#interface ?

the serial interfaces is not listed on the console.

When I do the command show diag, also doesn’t appear…

I already did a reload of the router but nothing.

It’s funny because the other router has the same IOS and detects the serial interfaces..

Are there more configurations needed, like modules, and how is it done?

Thanks in advanced,

Hugo

11 Replies 11

a.grauso
Level 1
Level 1

Could you post 'sh ver' and 'sh ip int brief' ?

Have you look in logging buffer for error messages during reload?

Alex

Hello,

I wasn’t waiting for such a quick reply. :)

No, I haven't checked the logging buffer...

I'm not by the routers at the moment...in 6 hours from now, I will send this information.

Thanks.

Here I hope this helps....

Router#show version

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-IS56I-M), Version 12.0(27), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1

)

Copyright (c) 1986-2003 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Mon 09-Jun-03 22:12 by srani

Image text-base: 0x80008088, data-base: 0x809BD798

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(10r)1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 5 minutes

System restarted by power-on

System image file is "flash:c2600-is56i-mz.120-27.bin"

cisco 2600 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x00) with 59392K/6144K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID JAD06350BGA (1938093096)

M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49

Channelized E1, Version 1.0.

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

Primary Rate ISDN software, Version 1.1.

1 Channelized E1/PRI port(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

****************************************************************************************

Router#show ip interface brief

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

Doesn't show anything

****************************************************************************************

Router(config)#interface ?

Async Async interface

BVI Bridge-Group Virtual Interface

Dialer Dialer interface

Group-Async Async Group interface

Lex Lex interface

Loopback Loopback interface

Null Null interface

Port-channel Ethernet Channel of interfaces

Tunnel Tunnel interface

Virtual-Template Virtual Template interface

The interfaces serial ethernet and bri don't appear...

Only the IOS was modified? Or was a new WIC installed? I've seen this when a Version 2 WIC was installed when the router originally had a Version 1 WIC. Confirmed with Cisco about the differences in the WIC versions / IOS features / Memory requirements.

HTH

I'm not sure if it was modified.

But I have another router with the exact number of interfaces serial, ethernet, etc. with the same IOS version and has it's interfaces working...

My question is if the IOS can detected the interfaces alone with out extra configurations, because it looks like it doesn't?

thanks

psprice
Level 1
Level 1

I have seen this problem when we had a few 2621 routers delivered from our distributor a few years ago and they had tried to install a new IOS for us. I found that all physical interfaces were missing from config (Serial and BRI on ours) I found the only way around it was to erase flash completely and then reboot the router so that it would drop into rommon mode. I then had to reload the IOS image using tftpdnld.

Why the interfaces weren't there was and still is a mystery to me !!

HTH

Phil

Oh, yes I erase the flash, so it when into the rommon and then used the tftpdnld to the router.

So are you saying to give it another try?

thanks

Hugo

Didn't notice that you'd already done that. I can only state that's what I had to do to solve my problem. It was some time ago but I'm sure that it only worked when using tftpdnld and telling the router to erase flash (again!) when asked by the router if you're really sure after the tftpdnld command has been issued....

HTH

Phil

usmany
Level 1
Level 1

if the other router has the same ios and serial int, why not use that same ser int of the working router to this that can not detect the ser int...

if didn't work, then check the router very well coud be hardware problem i.e. the router...

Hi,

Are saying I sould copy directly the IOS or flash from one router to another with out tftp?

thanks

Hi,

There is no way you can directly copy/upload the IOS to Router's Flash, one has to either use FTP or TFTP to upload the IOS, depending on the router's stats one has to use FTP/TFTP.

If your environment permits One thing you can do, to verify the 2 WIC card & Router's slot is ok, unplug the working WIC to this router and check does it shows that working WIC and vice-versa. To confirm the hardware functioning.

SKJ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: