cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Serious Problem -CiscoWorks causes HSRP flapping

colin.higgins
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 7507 router connected via a 802.1q trunk to a 4006 switch. When I launch Cisco Works 2000 (running on NT) and go into Campus Manager, then to User Tracking or Topology Services, I have immediate HSRP flapping on my 7507. Apparently, the combination of CDP and SNMP queries is causing instability on the network.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I have been working on this for months with Cisco's help and no one can give me an answer as to why this happens.

4 Replies 4

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Just an idea:

Have you tried to change the standby timers?

see http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12cgcr/np1_r/1rprt2/1rip.htm#xtocid50

The problem might be caused by Topology services overloading switch CPU by SNMP queries flood so the router seems to be unaccessible. You might try to increase the standby holdtime timer.

HTH,

Milan

Milan,

is there a value to which I should increase the timers that you recommend? Currently it is set to:

standby x timers 1 4

I can change this if need be.

I would try the default value 3 and 10.

Milan

bjames
Level 5
Level 5

Colin,

Try the standby use-bia (use burned in address), and portfast on the switch ports connected to the 7500.

I had a simular problem. Hope this works...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: