cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 DHCP Issue

patrick.hurley
Level 3
Level 3

My SG300 stopped handing out IP addresses after working flawlessly for years.  I rebooted it and all is well.

My question is mostly curiosity.  Has anyone had their switches running as a DHCP server, suddenly stop handing out IPs?

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

check any new firmware and upgrade.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I agree that checking for newer software is a reasonable suggestion. But I would like to know more about the SG300 and about what caused the problem. Did you do any show log, and if so were there any significant messages in the log? Did you check on the status of the DHCP pool?  The original poster says that it was working flawlessly for years. Do we know how long it had been running since its last reboot? Did the SG300 continue to forward traffic ok (was it only a problem about DHCP or was the problem more extensive)? Is it possible that the DHCP was set up with leases infinite (not expiring) and the DHCP pool was out of available addresses?

HTH

Rick

Erik Hoffmann
Level 1
Level 1

I'm also interested in the root cause of those problems.

Sometimes I wonder if Cisco is unable to test its stuff. Like this homepage, just that moment there's a stupid popup of the website that wants me to rate it. Why such annoying s...t?

Back to dhcp, which in fact doesn't do anything on the sg300-20. Sometimes it serves no ip's, then the clients get no DNS-Server, then the clients get no router-info, next client gets as router the entry "router" (yes, instead of an ip my iphone says "router").

If anybody wants me to convince that cisco is a company which delivers professional software on their devices, has a lot of work. A LOT!

When may I expect Cisco to deliver a firmware update which solves the more than 10 year old consistent bugs? Or do they want me to spend another 1000 euro for a device that has other problems? Java-Software that's too old, invalid certificates,...? The list of possible problems is endless, especially with cisco. Just my personal experience.

When I buy a device, I expect that at least some basics should work!