Views
Helpful
Replies

shaping on physical and sub interface

dan.letkeman
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I currently have a few sub interfaces on my router for various reasons.  I have a service policy applied to those sub interfaces and the service policy has the shaping command in it, and its all working fine.  My physcial interface G0/0 is where I have an EIGRP neighbor and all of the routes are populated.

The problem is I want to apply a service policy to the physical interface and I am not able do so.

I get this:

router(config-if)#service-policy output g0-shape-out

user-defined classes with queueing features are not allowed in a service-policy at sub-interface/pvc

in conjunction with user-defined classes with queueing features in a service-policy at sub-interface/pvc

This is becuase the shaping command is already used in the service policy on the existing sub interfaces.

What I am wondering is, would it be best practice for me to not use the physical interface eg G0/0 when I have sub interfaces?  For example my existing subinterfaces are g0/0.802, g0/0.803 ,g0/0.804.  Should I setup a new sub interfaced call g0/0.100 and move the config from G0/0 to this new sub interface and use that as my main eigrp neighbor interface so that I can apply shaping to that sub interface?  Or is there a better way to apply multiple services policies that include shaping?

Thanks,

Dan.

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: