Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNA over TCP/IP

How much does it cost to avail of CISCO's services in migrating an IBM AS400 Machine into having/using an SNA over TCP/IP network that communicates with ATM machines and other machines as well. The IBM AS400 has V5R3M0 and the IBM AS400 machine model is 810 .

Does it involve the use of DLSw+ and RSRB? What other new network elements, protocols, etc., are to be introduced in the said network migration?

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

MATIP = MAinframe To IP

Thanks for the response Mr. Leo Laohoo.

But is the Mainframe To IP solution also applicable to MIDRANGE machines?

IBM AS400 machine (the iSeries) is not a mainframe, but just a midrange machine only.

What protocol does the AS400 talk?  

I've dealt with SNA/SDLC before and, the company I used to work for, started to migrate them to MATIP before I got retrenched.  

There are several ways to do this.  One is to engage Cisco Advance Services via your Cisco Account Manager/Sales Engineer.  

Another way is to engage a third party to do this.    But when you go down this road, be wary.  AS400 is a "niche market" system.  Not a lot of people know how this thing works (contrary to what they "claim" they can do). 

Understood.

Thanks again Mr. Leo Laohoo.

By the way, the company you were working for, who was conducting the network migration? is it CISCO? and is the machine IBM AS400 iSeries? or Mainframe? 

and is the machine IBM AS400 iSeries? or Mainframe? 

I used to work for a joint venture company between SITA and Equant (now Orange Business Service).  We provided links between different airline companies.  It was these airline companies that have mainframes and they were IBM mainframes.  

like Leo said, mainframes support TCP/IP.

It would be worth asking IBM whats is available for the AS/400. I did stumble across this:

http://www.easy400.net/tcpcfgh/page02.mbr

Which indicates that the AS/400 can use TCP/IP.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have several customers with IBM iSeries AS400s. They all use TCP/IP as their only transport protocol.

If your AS400 is not already using TCP/IP, your time will be much better spent configuring them to do so rather than trying to adapt your network to accommodate SNA via bridging and all the headaches that come with that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: