cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

software upgrade for 2501

dkblee
Level 1
Level 1

hi! is it possible to upgrade my old 2501 switch ios software to newer version. i'm currently having ios 11.0. how can i determine that my router is upgradeable and where to download the software eg.12.0. Thks!

17 Replies 17

No it will not work. An IOS from one series of routers does not work with another series. As per your previous post you were looking at upgrading the IOS because of EIGRP and inter VLAN routing support. Now you know that you cannot have intervlan routing on this router and EIGRP support is probably already there. Why do you still want to upgrade the IOS?

Thks! for the reply, i'm just trying to learn how to do the upgrading.

majorward
Level 1
Level 1

These are the steps you must take to upgrade the IOS version of your routers from 11.0 to 12.0: (Be sure to archive previous version of IOS to TFTP server for fault-tolerance purposes!!!)

A) Verify you have the router/memory reosurces to allocate to the new IOS version. You can verfiy this by the show flash command.

B) Always download your IOS from Cisco.com and no where else!

C) Download the IOS version to a TFTP server on the LAN.

D) Provision and annex the proper network addresses to provide network connectivity to the interface of the router and the TFTP server.

E) Ping the LAN TFTP server from the router.

F) Excercise the command copy tftp flash

G) Allow the full IOS version to load.

H) Verify the full version has loaded.

I) Verify the configuration regsiter bit settings of the router is 0X2102.

J) Issue the command on the router.

K) Upon reload verify configuration register settings, and IOS version.

L) Login to the router and execute a show flash command and match flash filenames.