cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Software Upgrade on 4003 and 4006 switches

algarde
Level 1
Level 1

I do not know for the life of me why I can't get this to work correctly. I download the new image to flash and it says it is copies successfully. When I restart system it can not boot from the new image and falls back on the old image. I have done the prepend as suggested and changed the config register to see if that was it. What am I doing wrong?

9 Replies 9

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

What is your "sh boot" and "dir" output?

Milan

aadeoba
Level 1
Level 1

Have u check that the size that was downloaded is the same size as it was on the site? You will also have to do a

set boot system flash <> Replacing device:[filename]> with bootflash:cat4000.5-5-9.bin so it should look like this

set boot system flash bootflash:cat4000.5-5-9.bin and then reboot the switch.

Chers

show boot is

BOOT variable=bootflash:cat4000-k8.7-2-1.bin,1

dir is

# Length date/time name

1 2805316 cat4000.4-5-2.bin

2 3817476 cat4000.6-1-1.bin

3 19369 switch.cfg

4 4454966 cisco\cat4000-k8.7-2-1.bin

I also did the set boot system flash "name of file" prepend

My guess is your version of romon is too old to run the new 7.1 code and it is falling back to the earlier version . You need romon version 6.1.4 or later to be able to use the 7.1 code . You can determine this by doing a show version and looking at the bootstrap parameter version , this is your romon version . This is right in the release notes , download the release notes about how to upgrade your romon , if you do this make sure you follow the instructions otherwise you can screw the switch up and you would have to send it back to cisco to fix it .

dpatkins
Level 1
Level 1

You may try to make sure that your Cat OS is the first file. We experienced similar problems to this with a 6509 and once the other CAT OS's were moved down in the pecking order, it worked fine.

We had the .cfg before the .bin file and this seemed to be the issue.

I can't seem to find any information on rearranging the dir order. Could you give me the command? Thanks

The only way that I know how to do it is to remove the ones above. Prior to doing so, I would save all files to a TFTP server and then put them back into place once the 7.1.1 CatOS is in place. You probably only have 16MB of flash on the CAT 4000, so it would probably be a good thing to remove at lease one of the OS's that you have saved on there.

dgcampbell
Level 1
Level 1

I believe your boot variable is pointing to the wrong location, it should be pointing to cisco\c4000-k8.7-2-1.bin. It looks like the image file is inside a directory called cisco, that's why it doesn't see it when you boot the switch. Set the boot variable so that it looks in cisco\ for the file.

Good luck.

The suggestion of moving the newest image to the top of the directory solved the problem. Once I reset the system and the new image booted, I deleted the old images and squeezed bootflash. Thanks you all for all of your input and quick responses.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: