Views
Helpful
Replies

Static NAT to private IP server while having a public IP DMZ

andyhsu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a situation where we have an application server on our internal network. I have a terminal server on the same network that is used to access this application server via a client program installed on the terminal server. I need to give external users at home access to this terminal server so they can work from offsite.

We also use VoIP, and our gateway router supplying the internet connection to the office also has a DMZ port where all of our VoIP gateways reside with their public IPs.

|INSIDE NETWORK - Private IP|

|

|ROUTER|--|INTERNET|

|

|DMZ - Public IP|

The solution I'm thinking of would be to static map TCP port 3389 of the public IP to the terminal server's private IP.

I want to use the configuration settings from this Cisco tutorial (link below), but I'm not too sure about the affects of having NAT turned on will have on our VoIP DMZ, and I don't have a test router to check on.

Would it be safe to proceed with the way the tutorial has the NAT implementation outlined, or would additional configs need to be made? Thanks.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk175/tk15/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080093e51.shtml

1 Reply 1

gmarogi
Level 5
Level 5

NAT will be effective for the traffic that goes between the inside and outside interfaces. Since you will not be implementing it for the DMZ, I don't foresee any problem in this case.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: