cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

static route to trunk interface

ryanolivier
Level 1
Level 1

Here is what I am trying to do, fairly new here.  We have some 3750 switch stacks that are curretnly connected with 1GB fiber.  We added a 3750x switch to the stack and connected it with 10GB fiber.  I want to be able to leave both connected with the 10 as primary and the 1 as failover.

I understand you can create a static route to the interface of each and use a longer admin distance, but it says that it has to be a L3 port. If we do this we will not have trunking available, correct?  Can anyone guide me in the best direction to accomplish what im looking for?

3 Replies 3

ryanolivier
Level 1
Level 1

i should add both fiber runs are going back to our core switch

You should be fine to just plug them in and letting spanning tree figure out the primary path. Your 1Gb connections should go to blocking state due to the lower link speed whilst your 10G should be in the forwarding state. 

Hope it helps. 

1977bjorn
Level 1
Level 1

You just decide on which way you want to go - L2 or L3 - you either use routing or you don´t

L2 - use as many trunks as you need - requires no routing - utilize only one link at the time - simple setup

L3 - separate networks - use both links - superfast convergence - no slow/messy spanningtree - more complex setup

If you are not familiar with routing OR if you don´t have the need for it - go for the L2 setup and live with just using the 10G link and the 1G link as backup. This sounds like i smaller site and then you should be all set this way.

If you are already doing the routing in the stacks (I don´t think you do - right?) then there is of course a possibility to set up routing to the core as well - all depends on you architecture.

good luck :-)