cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange Problem with C1924

ktoh
Level 1
Level 1

I have a C4506 as Core switch, copules of C2924 as Distribution switch and dozens of C1924 as access switch. Few of the C1924 are casacaded using F0/27 to F0/26 of another C1924.

I am encountering the following problem:

1) For some of Canon photocopier in the network, I am not able to ping to it from the switches, after I do a "clear mac-address-table dynamic all" on the C4605, these photocopier will response to ping, after certain time (about 1hrs or so). It will not response to ping again. I have to perform the "clear mac" command to get it response to ping again.

2) For some of C1924 that is at the end of "casacade", meaning the second or third C1924 switch that is in the "cascaeded" connection. It will not response to ping from Core switch. It only response to ping after I ping it from the First C1924 on the "cascaeded stack". After certain time (about 1hrs or so), the same problem will come back.

C4506 IOS=cat4000-i9s-mz.121-20.EW.bin

C2924 IOS=c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC8.bin

C1924 IOS=Cisco Catalyst 1900/2820 Enterprise Edition Software, Version V9.00.05

Thanks for any help render.

6 Replies 6

kkalaycioglu
Level 4
Level 4

Is 4500 performing layer-3 switching (IP routing)?

Does your your architecture consist of VLANs?

May there be a layer-2 loop between these switches or are you running spanning-tree protocol on the switches?

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

I have had a similar problem and found the following solution:

On the 1924 you can configure a network port on A or B port. When this is done, broadcasts are only sent to this port and not flooded. Hence, when ARP times out on an adress it remains dead until it it is pinged again from the switch. The idea with this feature is that the nodes on the switch will only establish outgoing connections.

Looks a lot like your issue, doesn't it?

Disable the network port feature and check again.

Regards,

Leo

How to check whether this feature is being enable/disable on the switch? it is via "sh int f0/27"?

Thanks!

The 1924 is menu-driven. I think it was under broadcast management or so.

Thanks Leo, it works!

This is interesting as we have seen this problem in our stacks which consist of a 2924 on top and 4 1924 underneath . I'll have to remember this if we run into

printer problems again because we have the network port option on all our 1924's .