cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stuck in ROMMON mode with my ASA5505 Firewall

Krishna Babu
Level 1
Level 1

I, in an effort to erase my flash memory, has ended up and is left stranded in ROMMON mode. Iam new to this environment and has been trying literally every suggestion available on the internet to resolve the same.

Primarily my firewall is searching for an image file (Iam not sure about the extension of it; but I think it is looking for a .bin)

As it isnt able to trace the image, Iam in ROMMON. Further, I tried using a TFTP server (setup using SOLARWINDS) for the same.

Now, as it says, File does not exist wherein I've put the .bin in the TFTP root folder.

Could anyone advice me? Where am I going wrong?

Eventhough I mentioned the image as .bin, is the firewall looking for some other extension?                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vibhor Amrodia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Krishna,

From the Snap , I think you need to make these changes:-

1)Unset the Gateway as it is not required.

2) This is not an error with the File Extension but with the TFTP server or the PC. Can you try a different PC to boot up the ASA device.

3) Verify the Filename:- I think it should be

asa831-k8.bin

4) You can use this TFTP server:-

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_download.html

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Vibhor Amrodia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Krishna,

From the Snap , I think you need to make these changes:-

1)Unset the Gateway as it is not required.

2) This is not an error with the File Extension but with the TFTP server or the PC. Can you try a different PC to boot up the ASA device.

3) Verify the Filename:- I think it should be

asa831-k8.bin

4) You can use this TFTP server:-

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_download.html

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor

Vibhor,

Thanks a lot man.

Finally Iam out of the dark and the image had been loaded. The issue was with the image file and after many iterations, your 3rd point made me search again. Finally got it and things are turning out for the good.

Thanks once again.

Hi Krishna,

Nice to hear that..TFTP can be a pain sometimes

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor

Vibhor,

You are absolutely right. It had been a horrendous last week for me.. Stuck in ROMMON, which was sort of a limbo. And, once the tftp was through, I did my own R&D and thanks to all, the device is back to normal with its upgrades incorporated. Feels great.

Once again thanks to all.

Thanks and regards,

Krishna

This discussion has been reposted from CSC Helps Teachers Without Borders to the Other Network Infrastructure Subjects community.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: