cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sup 720 Console Port

rdotson
Level 1
Level 1

I just installed 2 Sup720s. After configuring the first Sup, during configuration of the 2nd Sup, the console locked up. Probably because of TACACS statements. I switched the console cable to the 1st Sup while it was locked up to see if that switch had also locked up. I could not get anything on terminal screen. I rebooted both switches, but I still cannot get the console port to work on the first switch. I've tried rebooting the switches, press Ctrl C 3 times, in case it was in "switch console mode" and also issued the command to disconnect the user that was attached to the console. Also tried setting the timesout low, so if something was left logged in, it would time out.

I still am unable to connect to the console port on the 2nd switch. All other things seem to be working fine. I can telnet to the switch with no problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

pflunkert
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

it looks like the normal behaviour. When you have two sups installed and they reboot. You have access to both sups via console. But when they are up, the backup sup closed the console access. This sup, which is ready with the boot process first is the active supervisor engine and on this module you have console access.

Regards

Peter

Sorry I wasn't clear. The sups are in separate 6509's. I also forgot to mention, I running Cat OS on the switches.

Hi,

Please do this activity, shutdown the PC on which you are using the Hyperterminal, reboot, also, power down the switch, wait for 2 minutes and then power this back on, you should get the console back.

Regards,

Sriharshaa Prabhakar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: