cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Cluster

r.lent
Level 1
Level 1

I have a number of 3550 switches curently in a cluster managed through CMS. I now need to expand this cluster but there is a limit of 15 switches per cluster. How do I manage the additional switches through CMS?

Any help much appreciated.

Robin.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

Just establish another cluster.

It helps if you can group the switches in a particular cluster so that they share some logical characteristic. Maybe they're all in the same wiring closet; or maybe they all connect to the same 3550 distribution switch, if you have more than one of these. Group them in a way that has some meaning to you.

It may require you to break up your existing cluster arrangement, but that will only affect management of the switches, not the traffic flowing through them.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

Just establish another cluster.

It helps if you can group the switches in a particular cluster so that they share some logical characteristic. Maybe they're all in the same wiring closet; or maybe they all connect to the same 3550 distribution switch, if you have more than one of these. Group them in a way that has some meaning to you.

It may require you to break up your existing cluster arrangement, but that will only affect management of the switches, not the traffic flowing through them.

Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks for the help. I was a bit worried I would have to create a new VLAN as I did not really want to do this. You may ask why but I do not really have enough users to warrant this. I have a lot of switches because the users are spread about a bit.

Many thanks for your help.

Robin.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: