Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Port ANalysis and 3500XL Series SWitch

I remember reading somewhere that on some switches that have their port set up to monitor other port, that there was a restriction that they could not also be used to send traffic. In particular, I need to check to see if a 3512XL has this restriction. That is, if I do the following:

Interface FastEthernet 0/1

port monitor fastethernet0/2

port monitor fastethernet0/3

Can the device connected to Fast0/1 also send traffic out that interface?

2 Replies 2

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

No, if the port is configured as a span port, it cannot be used to pass normal traffic.

johnyoon75
Level 1
Level 1

If some port had a role of Monitoring port, the port can't communicate other hosts.

If you want to know port status, you can use "show interface fastethernet 0/1". after that you can see the port status "monitoring". that mean is, nobody can't commuinicate other host that connected interface fastethernet 0/1.

SPAN Limitations

When using the SPAN feature, the monitoring port receives copies of transmitted and received traffic for all monitored ports. If the monitoring port is 50 percent oversubscribed for a sustained period of time, it will probably become congested. One or more of the ports being monitored might also experience a slowdown.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: