cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

switch to switch cross cable ?

fasi74
Level 1
Level 1

Well yesterday i read in a cisco book saying that you should have a cross cable when connecting switch to switch & a straight cable when connecting workstation to a switch , but currently i have stright all through , switch to switch or switch to pc .

network seems to run fine, why is this ?

thanks

5 Replies 5

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Fasi74,

Which switch you are having might be 2950 and above. Some switches support auto MDIX feature which internally converts the straight connection to cross connection and even staright cable will work because internally it works as cross otherwise it is very true that between switch to switch you need to have a cross cable.

Can you paste the config of the ports which you used to connect between the 2 switches

Regards,

Ankur

i am using 1900 catalyst switch.

HI Fasi74,

Did you connected the other switch using last 2 100 MBPS uplink ports? If yes I think AUTO MDIX is supported on it but still not very sure and I tried searching some docs but not able to get one for you.

Might be somebody from Cisco can confirm that 1900 supports auto MDIX.

Regards,

Ankur

malutaru1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Fasi74,

Which switch you are having might be 2950 and above. Some switches support auto MDIX feature which internally converts the straight connection to cross connection and even staright cable will work because internally it works as cross otherwise it is very true that between switch to switch you need to have a cross cable.

But on the cross cable we should configure Trunk for the Opertation

Hi Malutaru1234,

I think you have copied exactly the same lines from my first post without checking that Fasi74 had alraedy replied that he is having 1900 switch.

Also it is not necessary that he need to configure trunk between the 2 switches when connected via cross over cable becuase trunk is just to pass the information of more than 1 vlan. If you have single vlan in your network you can connect the 2 switches via access link also.

Regards,

Ankur